You may have different reasons why you are donating to charity. You may be doing it because you believe that you should help those who are in need. You may have an innate desire to provide people with what they cannot get at present time.
While there are different ways to serve various charities, one of the easiest ways to donate is by giving money. There are some charities however who would appreciate it more if you would volunteer and help them out when they are trying to give help to the poor and the needy. Perhaps you can donate food instead of money. For some, they give money because it is what they have available. They may have gotten it from Traffic Monsoon or any of their other jobs but what if the charity that you are donating to is not legitimate?
There are some signs that you can watch out for so that you will know if the charity that you are donating to is a real charitable institution or not.
- If the charity only requires you to give donations in cash, this may be a sign that they are not a real. The easiest way to steal is by posing as a charitable institution wherein you can easily send in your money through their accounts. Do not get scammed by these fake charities and donate other things instead that people will surely benefit from.
- If the charity will not be able to provide the right details on how the money that you have donated may be used, you have the right to be sceptical about what the charity can truly do. Legitimate charities will make the effort to provide details about how your donations will benefit those who are in need. This way, you know that your money is being put to good use but if you ask a charity how they are going to use your money and they do not respond, then this may be a sign that they are not legitimate.
- If the charity sounds like another more popular organization then this may be a sign that the charity is only riding on the popularity of another charity in order to make money. Does not be fooled and always double check if the charity that you are going to donate to is the real deal or not.
- If you are being pressured by the institution to donate right away then this is a bad thing. It may be because they would like to get your money before they close down their fake website and their fake account. Charities will never pressure you into donating a certain amount of money. You will be encouraged but you will never be forced to donate.
- There is no sign of the charity existing even months before they ask for your donation. You need to know the track record of the charity that you are going to donate money to beforehand to be sure that it is real and legitimate.
Hopefully, the things that are mentioned above will help guide you into choosing the right charities to give donations to.